Beomsu Kim is the Managing Partner at KL Partners.
Prior to establishing KL Partners, Mr. Kim was a partner at Shin & Kim leading the International Dispute Resolution practice group over 16 years. He also had previously served as a judge at the district courts of Korea for nine years before joining Shin & Kim.
His main areas of practice are international arbitration and cross-border litigation. He is a member of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)’s International Court of Arbitration and has served as an arbitrator in arbitration proceedings under the auspices of the ICC, the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) and the Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB), among others. Mr. Beomsu Kim also represents investors in the first ever investor-state dispute (ISD).
Mr. Kim is the President of the Korean Council of International Arbitration and a member of the Management Committee of the Seoul International Dispute Resolution Center (SIDRC). He also serves as an advisor to the KCAB International Committee. He is the former Executive Director of International Relations for the Korean Bar Association.
Mr. Kim has consistently been chosen as a leading lawyer in the fields of international arbitration and corporate matters, and has continuously received favorable reviews in leading foreign legal journals such as Chambers, IFLR1000 and Legal500. Of particular note, Mr. Kim was named by ALB as one of “Asia’s Best 75 Lawyers” in 2013, considering factors such as expertise, visibility, reputation and dedicated client service.
“He has excellent client connections throughout the Korean business world,” while others praise his ability to offer clear advice, one referring to him as “fantastic.”
— Chambers and Partners
KL PartnersCo-Founder / Managing Partner (September 2015 — present)
Shin & KimSenior Partner (2000 — 2015)
ICC International Court of ArbitrationMember (July 2015 — present)
The Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB)Arbitrator (2009 — present)
Management Committee of the Seoul International Dispute Resolution Center (SIDRC)Member (May 2013 — present)
Korean Council of International Arbitration(KOCIA)President (2005 — present)
Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration (KLRCA)Arbitrator (2014 — present)
Japan Commercial Arbitration Association (JCAA)Emergency Arbitrator (2013 — present)
International Transaction Law Committee, Ministry of JusticeMember (2002 — present)
District Courts of KoreaJudge (1988 — 1997)
- Representation of a leading Korean construction company in an UNCITRAL arbitration relating to a dispute arising from a construction project in India.
- Representation of a leading Korean private equity fund in an ICC arbitration relating to its investment in a global financial institution in Korea.
- Representation of a German company in a Korean litigation against a local distributor of agricultural products in Korea.
- Representation of a local real estate developer in a UNCITRAL arbitration in connection with one of the largest commercial real estate development projects in Korea.
- Representation of a Belgian investor in the first ever investor-state dispute (ISD) brought against the Republic of Korea.
- Representation of the United States investors in the first ever investor-state dispute (ISD) brought against the Republic of Korea.
- Co-authored, Is Korea on its way to become a new arbitration hub for Asia?, GAR 2020 Asia-Pacific Arbitration Review Article
- Co-authored, “Litigation Funding”, Getting the Deal Through (2017, 2018,2019)
- Co-authored, “Investment Treaty Arbitration 2015 – Korea”, Getting the Deal Through(2011 — 2014)
- Co-authored Korea Chapter in The International Arbitration Review, 3rd Edition (J. Carter, ed.), Law Business Research (2012)
- Co-authored “Arbitration in South Korea”, The Asia-Pacific Arbitration Review, Global Arbitration Review (2012, 2013)
- Co-authored Korea Chapter in The International Arbitration Review, 3rd Edition (J. Carter, ed.), Law Business Research, (2012)
- Co-authored “South Korea: Receptive to Foreign Arbitration Awards?”, Asian-Counsel Special Report on Dispute Resolution (December 2009/January 2010)
- “Leading Individual”, Chambers Asia-Pacific (2011-2019)
- Finalist, Managing Partner of the Year — Asian Legal Business (2018)
- “Leading Individual”, The Legal 500 (2017-2018)
- “2015 Lawyer of the Year — International Arbitration”, The Legal Times (2016)
- “Leading Individual – Dispute Resolution – South Korea”, Chambers Global / Chambers Asia-Pacific (2011 — 2016)
- “Asia’s Best 75 Lawyers”, ALB (2013)
- “Leading Lawyer – M&A Dispute Resolution”, Asianlaw Profiles (2012)
- “Leading Lawyer”, IFLR1000 (2011 — 2012)