John M. Kim is the Vice-Chair of the International Dispute Resolution Practice Group at the Firm and focuses his practice on representing domestic and foreign clients in cross-border disputes and M&A transactions.
Prior to joining KL Partners, Mr. Kim was the Vice-Chair of the International Dispute Resolution Practice Group at Shin & Kim and also served as the General Counsel of AIG Investments in Korea.
“Meticulous and really thoughtful practitioner who bridges the US and Korean legal markets.”
— Chambers and Partners
KL PartnersSr. Foreign Attorney (September 2015 – present)
Shin & KimSr. Foreign Legal Counsel (January 2009 – September 2015 / March 2005 ~ September 2007)
AIG Investments (AIG Global Real Estate)Vice President / General Counsel (October 2007 – December 2008)
Deryook International Law FirmForeign Legal Counsel (March 2000 – February 2005)
Samjong Houlihan Lokey Investment Banking ServicesFinancial Analyst (June 1999 – February 2000)
- Representation of a leading Korean construction company in a UNCITRAL arbitration relating to a dispute arising from a construction project in India.
- Representation of a leading Korean private equity fund in an ICC arbitration relating to its investment in a global financial institution in Korea.
- Representation of a German company in a Korean litigation against a local distributor of agricultural products in Korea.
- Representation of a local real estate developer in a UNCITRAL arbitration in connection with one of the largest commercial real estate development projects in Korea.
- Representation of a Belgian investor in the first ever investor-state dispute (ISD) brought against the Republic of Korea.
- Legal advisor to NBC Sports in connection with its broadcast of the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games.
- Representation of a leading Korean children’s apparel brand in connection with a joint venture in China.
- Legal advisor to H&M in connection with its general corporate and leasing matters in Korea.
- Legal advisor to Starbucks in connection with its general corporate matters in Korea.
- Legal advisor to The Province of British Columbia (Canada) in connection with its general corporate matters in Korea.
- Co-authored, “Litigation Funding”, Getting the Deal Through (2017)
- Panel Speaker at the YSIAC Seoul Advocacy Workshop 2015 (November 2015)
- Panel Speaker at the inaugural Seoul ADR Festival (November 2015) – “Practical Guide on Drawing up of an Effective Arbitration Clause” (Co-hosted by the SIDRC and Thomson Reuters)
- Co-Authored, “Investment Treaty Arbitration – Korea,”” Getting the Deal Through(2013 – 2015)
- “Leading Individual”, Chambers Asia-Pacific (2017)
- “Leading Individual”, The Legal 500 (2017)
- “Leading Individual – International Arbitration – South Korea”, Legal500 (2015 – 2016)
- “Leading Individual – Dispute Resolution – South Korea”, Chambers Global / Chambers Asia (2015 – 2016)
- “Leading Individual – Corporate and M&A”, Legal500 (2012 – 2015)
- “Leading Individual – Corporate/M&A”, Chambers Global / Chambers Asia-Pacific (2010 – 2014)