Seong Hoon (Sean) Yi is the Chair of the M&A/Corporate Group at the Firm and focuses his practice on representing domestic and foreign clients in M&A transactions.
Mr. Yi has worked on some of the most high-profile M&A transactions in Korea and is regularly recognized as a leading attorney in the field of Corporate/M&A in Korea.
Prior to joining KL Partners, Mr. Yi was the Co-Chair of the Corporate Group at Shin & Kim.
Mr. Yi is also a professor at Yonsei University law school.
“His main strength is his experience. He has dealt with a lot of M&A deals and his advice was very valuable to us.” Clients also appreciate his ability to find innovative solutions to problems and his approachable “customer-friendly” attitude. His practice covers M&A and general corporate work.
— Chambers and Partners
KL PartnersCo-Founder / Partner (October 2015 — present)
Shin & KimPartner (February 2000 — October 2015)
Allens Arthur Robinson (Australia)Foreign Legal Consultant (November 2005 – May 2006)
- Representation of Korea Exchange Bank in connection with its issuance of shares to Lone Star.
- Representation of Korea Deposit Insurance Corporation in connection with its sale of mutual savings banks.
- Representation of Lotte Group in connection with its acquisition of Pakistan PTA Ltd. and a petroleum company in UK and in connection with its acquisition of Times, a supermarket chain in China.
- Representation of Kumho Group in connection with its sale of Kumho Rental Car and Korea Express Co., Ltd.
- Representation of Orion Group in connection with its sale of OnMedia.
- Representation of GE in connection with its sale of GE Capital Korea to Hyundai Capital.
- Representation of Korea Deposit Insurance Corporation in connection with its sale of the majority stake of Woori Financial Holding Company.
- Representation of Affinity in connection with its proposed acquisition of Homeplus.
- Representation of DongA One Group in connection with its sale to Sajo Group.
- “Recent Amendments to the Korean Commercial Code”, Infomag (EUCCK, No. 125) (October 2011)
- “South Korea Special Report – A new frontier?”, Asian-Counsel (Volume 8 Issue 8) (2010)
- “Review of Fiduciary Out Clause in M&A Transactions”, Business Finance Law (2006)
- “Leading Individual”, The Legal 500 (2019)
- “Leading Individual”, Chambers Asia-Pacific (2019)
- “Leading Individual”, Chambers Asia-Pacific (2018)
- Finalist, Dealmaker of the Year — Asian Legal Business (2018)
- 2017 Lawyer of the Year — “M&A”, The Legal Times (2017)
- “Leading Individual”, Chambers Asia-Pacific (2017)
- “Leading Individual – Corporate/M&A – South Korea”, Chambers Global / Chambers Asia (2010 – 2016)