Bhushan Satish is a Foreign Attorney with KL Partners, and serves as counsel and tribunal secretary in international arbitrations. His practice spans across post-M&A and shareholder disputes, claims arising from infrastructure and construction projects and concessions, maritime and international trade, and investment treaty disputes, and covers various industries including corporate finance, private equity, pharmaceutical and lifesciences, agribusiness, oil & gas, mining & natural resources, automotives, hospitality, telecommunication, and insurance.
Prior to joining KL Partners, Bhushan studied law and trained with international arbitration practices in various jurisdictions, including India, Switzerland, Singapore, France, England & Wales, and Korea.
KL PartnersForeign Attorney (May 2020 – present)
Bae, Kim & lee LLCForeign Attorney (2016 – 2020)
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP, LondonInternational Arbitration Trainee (2015 – 2016)
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP, ParisStagiaire (2015)
Aarna Law, BangaloreAdvocate (2013 – 2015)
- EPCI consortium partner in a dispute arising from a consortium agreement related to a project for construction of offshore drilling and processing platforms in Central African oil fields (ICC, London).
- Contractors in two separate disputes arising from similar set of facts connected to a roadways construction concession in a South-East Asian country, involving pre-arbitral DB proceedings.
- Upstream manufacturer and supplier in two interrelated arbitration proceedings (SIAC, UNCITRAL) as respondent and counterclaimant in a distributorship dispute against an Iranian counter party.
- Korean EPC contractor in an investor-state arbitration against a North African state relating to concession agreements for the construction of large-scale housing and public utilities projects (UNCITRAL, The Hague).*
- Republic of Korea in investment treaty claims brought by Schindler Holding AG (UNCITRAL).*
- Pharmaceutical manufacturer in a dispute with a distributor involving regulatory requirements for distributing pharmaceutical products in the EU and CIS (ICC, Tokyo). Assisting as lead associate in the quantum stage. *
- Korean financial institution as respondent in a $ 1.5 billion post-M&A arbitration (ICC, Singapore) filed by a US private equity group. Assisted as lead associate, and successfully defended all claims in full. *
- Distributor of construction materials as respondent and counterclaimant against a US/Au-based manufacturer involving emergency arbitrator proceedings (ICC, Singapore). Prevailed substantially on counterclaims.*
- Indian-Korean consortium as contractor in claims and counterclaims arising from the termination of several construction contracts by the owner relating to roadways projects across India (ad-hoc, Delhi).*
- Advised a Korean manufacturer of composite materials in an investment dispute against a South East Asian state relating to investments in its local agribusiness; a Korean energy company in an investment dispute against a South Asian state arising from changes to the regulatory and tax regime in the power sector; and a Korean state-owned-entity on options under international investment law concerning state measures connected with a mining project in the Asia Pacific.*
- Korean sub-contractor respondent and counterclaimant in a dispute involving the supply of steel for a construction project in Australia (SIAC, Singapore). Awarded 75% of costs incurred.*
- An asset management company in a dispute arising out of an infrastructure project in Vietnam under the VIAC Rules governed by Vietnamese law. Prevailed substantially on counterclaims.*
- Korean charterer in demurrage claims against an insolvent Japanese shipowner (KCAB, Seoul).*
- The claimant in Ansung Housing Co., Ltd. v. People’s Republic of China (ICSID Case No. ARB/14/25), and in related commercial arbitration proceedings (HKIAC, Hong Kong).*
- Advised Republic of India in two separate investor-state arbitration proceedings initiated by Cairn Energy UK and Vedanta Resources respectively, relating to disputed capital gains taxes levied by the Government of India.*
- Helios Investment Partners and its investment vehicle, Samba Luxco, in the settlement of its claims made in an ICC arbitration regarding Samba’s stake in an African telecommunications company.*
- Nova Group Investments in an ICSID arbitration against Romania in respect of the purported expropriation of its assets in the insurance sector.*
- Two Lebanese claimants in an investor-state arbitration against the Republic of Cyprus following a series of actions by the Central Bank of Cyprus taking control of the assets of FBME’s branch in Cyprus (ICC, Paris).*
- Hydro S.r.l. and others in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Albania concerning the construction of a hydroelectric power plant.*
- Singaporean claimant in a shareholders’ dispute relating to a publicly listed Indian company operating in the water purification sector, relating to the exercise of a put-option (ICC, Singapore).*
- Advised a Korean contractor as respondent in an arbitration initiated by its German counterpart, in connection with the construction of a petrochemical facility in Gujarat (India) and apportionment of tax liability (ICC, Singapore).*
- Advised an Indian investor in an investment dispute with a South Asian state with respect to the establishment of a power plant and the allocation of natural gas for its operation.
- Sole-assistant to the presiding arbitrator in over 9 proceedings under the rules of SIAC, HKIAC, ICDR, PCA, and KCAB, arising from disputes relating to PE financing, infrastructure concessions, roadways construction, HMAs, and franchise contracts.*
- * Involved in prior to joining KL Partners.
- Invited to co-author contribution to Vol. 20 (2020) (forthcoming) of the ICSID Reports.
- Summary and digest on UAB E energija (Lithuania) v. Republic of Latvia ICSID Case No. ARB/12/33, in Prof. Jorge E. Viñuales, Dr. Michael Waibel (eds.), ICSID Reports (Vol 18, 2019) (forthcoming).
- Contributor, “Legal Finance in Korea: Lawyers weigh in”, Burford Quarterly (August 2019).
- Co-authored (with Kevin Kim) contribution to Neil Kaplan, Michael Moser (eds.), “Liber Amicorum Michael Pryles – Jurisdiction, Admissibility and Choice of Law in International Arbitration” (Kluwer, 2018).
- Presented on investor obligations at the Asian Society of International Law’s Sixth Biennial Conference (2017). Panel chaired by Prof. Lucy Reed. Invited to present a further developed version of the paper at ASIL Mid-year Conference (St. Louis, 2018).
- Invited to speak at the “ICDR Y&I Roundtable @ FDI Moot Regional Rounds” (10 August 2017) on investor obligations in international investment law.
- Co-authored “To NYC or Not: Dealing with Discrepancy in Enforcement Requirements between the New York Convention and the Korean Domestic Arbitration Act” (Kluwer Arbitration Blog, 9 August 2017).
- “The Silent ‘ISDS Debate’ in India and the Inarticulate Major Premise of the Law Commission of India’s 260th Report” (Economic & Political Weekly, April 2016).
- Co-authored “From Ford to Ferrari? A Brief Look at the Changes Introduced in the Draft Model Indian BIT” (Kluwer Arbitration Blog, 29 April 2015).
- Co-authored the “Mediation” chapter for India in Getting the Deal Through (2014).
- “BIT Arbitration in India: Exploring Applicability of the 1996 Act and Enforcement of Resultant Arbitral Awards” (November 30, 2011) Contemporary Asia Arbitration Journal, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 273-304. Presented at the Taipei International Conference on Arbitration and Mediation (2011); awarded Conference Paper Award.