Dong-Seok (Johan) Oh is a Partner at KL Partners. He practices primarily in the areas of international arbitration and cross-border litigation, construction and engineering disputes, energy, project finance, and international litigation matters.
Mr. Oh advises clients on various types of overseas investment projects, including industrial and chemical processing, oil and gas, infrastructure, PPP, and renewables. His works span across the globe, covering regions such as South East Asia, India, Middle East, Africa and North/South America. Through his time as a general counsel at the International Legal Team of Hyundai Heavy Industries dealing with all types of outbound projects, he developed an in-depth understanding and knowledge of shipbuilding, industrial and chemical processing, general construction, and offshore project matters.
Mr. Oh also represents a diverse range of clients from various jurisdictions in international arbitration proceedings, predominantly under the rules of the ICC (International Chamber of Commerce), KCAB (Korean Commercial Arbitration Board), AAA (American Arbitration Association), LCIA (The London Court of International Arbitration) and SIAC (The Singapore International Arbitration Centre) on matters involving post-M&A disputes, international trade, corporate governance, construction, energy, offshore projects and general contractual disputes.
Prior to joining KL Partners, Mr. Oh was an attorney at Kim & Chang and he served as a judge in the Suwon District Court (1999-2001). He also served as a general counsel of International Legal Team of Hyundai Heavy Industries group (2009-2011), handling various legal matters regarding the shipbuilding, industrial plant construction, and offshore project industries. He is a member of the Korean Bar Association (1996), the New York Bar Association (2007), IAI (International Arbitration Institute) in Paris, and a member of the IPBA (Inter-Pacific Bar Association). Mr. Oh is on the KCAB’s Panel of Arbitrators.
Mr. Oh received his LL.B. from Seoul National University, and his LL.M from Columbia Law School. He also attended the Judicial Research and Training Institute of the Supreme Court of Korea. He is admitted to the Korea and the New York bar.
KL PartnersPartner (March 2019 — present)
Kim & ChangSenior Partner (2001— 2009, 2012— Feb 2019)
The Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB)International Arbitrator (2018 — present)
Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration (KLRCA)Arbitrator (August 2014 — present)
The Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB)Arbitrator (2014 — present)
International Legal Team, Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., LtdGeneral Counsel (Dec 2009 — Dec 2011)
ICC International Court of Arbitration in ParisVisiting Attorney (2007)
Shearman & Sterling, New YorkInternational Lawyer (2006 — 2007)
Suwon District CourtJudge (1999 — 2001)
Republic of Korea Air ForceJudge Advocate (1996 — 1999)
International Dispute Resolution
- ICC arbitration case where he successfully represented Korean companies against a Korean government-affiliated agency in a dispute concerning the sale and control of a Korean financial services company. This is one of the biggest arbitration cases ever concerning Korean companies, with a project value in excess of USD 3 billion.
- ICC arbitration case where he successfully represented a Korean energy company against a German manufacturing company in a dispute concerning the supply agreement of solar photovoltaic parts.
- Ad hoc/UNCITRAL arbitration case where he successfully represented a Korean construction company against an Indian government-affiliated agency in disputes concerning EPC contract.
- KCAB arbitration case where he successfully represented a Korean automobile manufacturer against an Indonesian local agent in a dispute concerning automobile Supply Agreement/Technical License Agreement.
- LMAA arbitration case where he successfully represented a Korean shipbuilding company against a European ship buyer in a dispute concerning the delay and the defects under the Shipbuilding Contract.
- SIAC arbitration case where he successfully represented a German automobile parts manufacturer against a Korean company in a dispute concerning wrongful termination in a joint venture contract.
- AAA/ICDR arbitration case where he successfully represented a Korean manufacturer against a US dealer in a dispute concerning supply agreement and infringement of patent right.
- Advised a Korean construction company on a hydropower project in Indonesia.
- Advised a Korean energy company on a combined cycle power plant project in India.
- Advised a power plant on the acquisition of a German boiler manufacturing company.
- Advised a Korean energy company on a solar photovoltaic project in Nevada, USA.
- Advised on the acquisition of a Canadian company manufacturing fuel cell for automobiles.
- Advised a Korean energy company on the acquisition of a US company manufacturing blades for wind power generation.
- Advised a joint venture project with a Brazilian local partner to build shipyards in Brazil.
- Advised on the establishment of a manufacturing plant for construction equipment in Brazil.
- Advised on the acquisition of a UAE company manufacturing transformers.
- Advised on a combined cycle power plant and desalination project in Bahrain.
- Advised on a GTL construction project in Qatar.
- Advised on a steam supply and power generation project in Saudi Arabia.
- Advised on a combined cycle power plant and desalination project in Nigeria.
- Advised on a housing and infrastructure project in Libya.
- Advised on a housing and infrastructure project in Iran.
- Co-author, GAR (Global Arbitration Review) Know-How – Construction Arbitration: Korea chapter, Law Business Research (2013)
- “Trends in various Jurisdictions on Construction Law” – Society of Construction Law (2018)
- 베스트 변호사 2014 선정 – Outbound 분야 (조선일보, 2014)
- Client Choice Awards, Arbitration & ADR (Global Business Media Group, 2018)
- Legal500(2019) – Leading Individuals, Projects and Energy
- ‘Who’s who Legal(2019) – Leaders, Construction
- ‘Legal Times’ – Leading Lawyers (International Arbitration), 2017